I. S-miles - Special Miles Overview: www.specialmiles.org
• S-miles is a specialized inclusive center, founded in January 2011, & includes individuals between 3 & 25 years of age, with & without learning difficulties & mild to moderate special needs.
• S-miles center offers early detection & intervention for nurseries, academic programs (tutoring & intervention), life skills, consultancy/workshops for nurseries, schools and parents, research based extra-curricular activities, individualized therapies and transition program: academic, functional & vocational program (accredited by PEARSON UK) through hands-on multi-sensory experiences.
• The approach & techniques adopted by S-miles are what makes it unique & innovative.
• We emphasize on the holistic development of each person including moral, intellectual, social, emotional, physical development & well‐being.
• We are also dedicated towards increasing awareness among parents & society as a whole.
II. What we do:
S-miles is an exclusive unique center that offers, research based therapeutic activities for mild to moderate special needs & learning difficulties, targeting both leisure & intervention purposes simultaneously. It's fun & therapeutic at the same time.
S-miles is founded based on the following:
• Availability of centers & institutions for severe cases, yet the lack of services for individual with mild to moderate cases,
• Regular coaches within a large group of individuals in their sessions are not qualified nor equipped to reach to the specific needs & individual pace of those children,
• Unfortunately, children having special cases spend their time on “one on one” therapy sessions, & have very scarce opportunities to enjoy fun activities as their regular peers,
• Lack of participation in fun activities within a group leads children to feel different & neglected,
• Lack of participation in age related fun activities might lead to refusal of other therapies & regression
To give individuals with & without learning difficulties & mild to moderate special needs the opportunity to nurture & blossom their mental & physical abilities in order to progress & excel in life.
IV. Therapies & Activities Enrolled at S-miles:
Therapies & Activities are goal oriented, where individualized plans combine cognitive thinking & physical movement to ensure a healthy body & mind. Further, one of the main approaches adopted at S-miles aim to contribute to the development of social & emotional well-being of the child. Upon registration, children are advised to enroll in activities that research has proven to be beneficial for their challenges.
Further, S-miles’ groups include a maximum of 5 to 6 students per session to support individuals to be integrated socially within a group & at the same time benefit from the session. Finally, a 3 months plan (IP-individualized Plan) underlying specific objectives is developed to assess the development of the child.
Dance/Movement Therapy (Dance/Rhythmic), Art Therapy (Art/Craft), Drama Therapy (Theater), Psychological Follow-up, Speech Therapy, Psychomotor/Occupational Therapy
Bodily-Kinesthetic board games, Educational movies/documentaries, Computer educational board games, Story reading, puppet show, Football, Basketball, Health & nutrition, Cooking, Art / Craft, Gardening, Ping pong, Darts, Taekwondo, Drama, Dance, Music, Yoga, Science Experiment
C. Academics & Skills:
Organizational & Study Skills, Tutoring (Agenda & Intervention), Computer Skills, Social & Life Skills, Money Management Skills, Executive Functioning Skills
D. Consultancy / Workshops:
• Day Cares (Nurseries) - early childhood intervention for parents and day care centers: entails services that promote a child's age-appropriate growth and development while supporting families during the critical early years. Starting with a partnership between parents and professionals at this early stage contributes to the prevention of up possible upcoming challenges.
• Schools: With the fast growing need and demands of today's school dynamics, Special Miles center offers consultancy services to help schools cater to the needs of all students giving them equal access to education.
• Parents: Parenting a child with any sort of special needs and learning difficulties, regardless of the age and the nature of the need, is frustrating and painful for the parents or caregivers. It is a stressful and confusing journey that sometimes leads families and relationships to the breaking point.
As consultants, Special Miles prior target is to work alongside with parents in order to offer them viable options to help their child.
E. Transition Program: Academic, Functional & Vocational Program (accredited by PEARSON UK):
As of the age of 14, many students with mild to moderate learning difficulties and special cases might stop benefiting from the services offered at schools. Thus, they require a special program that combines academic, functional, and vocational goals simultaneously.
Building the right learning plan for students with learning difficulties:14-16 years old learners
• Part of a balanced curriculum; combined academic and applied learning style
• Students will recognize the exact skills needed to be developed as they prepare for a specific future career
16-19 years old and adult learners
• Continue studies as academics, functional and vocational learning which will develop practical knowledge and skills
• Provide clear sight into work
• Develop practical, interpersonal and thinking skills essentials for professional life